Canadian Down Under

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Newest Aussie!!

Here's me:



Receiving this:


That's the short version of the story. The long version:


6:00 am start, followed by a
7:00 am breakfast, followed by a
8:00 am registration and a
8:30 am ceremony with a
9:00 swearing in, followed by a
9:30 am champagne cocktail (or two) and a
10:00 baton relay presentation for the Commonwealth Games.

I did more by 10 am than I usually do all day! But it was great.

Thomas Keneally - the author of Schindler's Art (yup, made into the movie Schindler's List) was the speaker at our naturalisation ceremony and he said one of the nicest things: that Australia was built on immigration from other countries and this history meant that becoming Australian was not about forgetting your heritage but incorporating it into your new life.

I agree with him whole heartedly - and though there are many Australians who don't agree (including my colleague at work who believes I should rescind my Canadian citizenship). I'm choosing to take what he said to heart - and by my actions, show the vocal doubters here that different heritage is not a distraction or negative - but actually something that makes us all something more. (Just don't ask me how yet - I haven't quite worked that one out....)

I feel that moving here need not only be a broadening experience for myself - but also for those whom I live amongst. That's how I viewed ethnic and cultural diversity at home in Canada. That view won't change now that I've made a new home here in Australia!

Thomas Keneally also gave an interesting and welcome piece of advice: be stroppy and be demanding new citizens. He explained that this was the way for Australia to continue to grow and mature - by learning from its new citizens. I thought that was great advice - and to be honest - not much of a challenge for me - I'm almost always stroppy and demanding!

It all sounds very serious and some of it was - but mostly it was just great fun. (The champagne didn't hurt!)

My stomach was dodgy all morning with nerves and I was so surprised by that. But luckily one of my oldest friends in Australia came with me. We had a great time (he has a wicked sense of humour) and he sat behind me during the ceremony, cracking jokes and making the entire back row laugh.

After the ceremony, this lady came up and congratulated him on becoming a citizen and she was so pleased because he was so excited. We were both surprised because he wasn't part of the ceremony (because he's a Kiwi and doesn't need citizenship), but we didn't have the heart to correct her because she was so pleased with him - never mind the fact that he was so jovial because he was taking the piss most of the time...

So we had dignitaries, the mayor and council member, famous authors and my very first Australian Bush Band - See:

Fabulous!


And to top the day off? A call from my drunken brother and a group of his friends singing "C'mon Aussie C'mon" and ending with a rousing rendition of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi, Oi, Oi!"

Perfect.

Happy Australia Day!


3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home