Canadian Down Under

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I like Ike. My bike likes Ike.

As mentioned in this earlier post, it damn hard to do a triathlon without a bike so I did some research on buying a road bike and found out the cheapest I could get was about $900. Used bikes were impossible to find, but then last weekend I lucked across this wholesale place out near the airport and got a brand new bike for the price of a used one.

Sweeeet!

Picked it up Saturday and went for my first spin Sunday. Only problem was, with it being a wholesaler and all, they didn't fit it to me, so I had to shorten my ride and go to a local bike shop to get it sized up - or risk doing some serious damage to some very special parts of me...

Now I usually come across as fairly confident and sure of myself, but at the bike shop these guys were experts/fanatics and it made me uncomfortable. They kept looking at the bike and muttering to themselves and asking me questions like "where'd you get this" or "why didn't they fit you" really gruffly so I just got them to adjust the seat and I bolted. I bolted before I fixed the handlebars, the pedals or got a water bottle thingy.

I'm such a yellow belly.....

But today - while working from home - I somehow discovered that the bike adjustments weren't enough to make the ride comfortable. (How did that happen? I was working so diligently from home - how did I end up on my bike?) I just knew that if I didn't fix it, the pressure on my shoulders would make me mental - or at least start giving me migraines (something I have worked very hard at correcting in the last few months - which I will update you on soon....) so I had to suck it up and go back to the store.

Well, the guy there today was GREAT! Not only did he fix everything up in a totally co-operative and non-judgmental way, he kept saying "this is a great bike you have".

It's all good. Now? I like my bike. Carl likes my bike.

Have no idea what Ike thinks.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home