Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Sweet

A very versatile word - depending how you use it....

Now there's "sweeeeeet" -used when very excited or chuffed about something or "sweet" said in a sarcastic tone when meaning exactly the opposite or and there's just plain sweet - often used to describe kittens, puppies, babies or perhaps a genuinely nice, kind caring sweet person.

Now I've used it while excited and while being sarcastic (and sometimes while being a mixture of both) and I've even used it to describe a person I know - but NEVER have I heard it used to describe me (nor would I expect to...) until yesterday.

Gasp.
Shock.
The horror!!!

Actually, it made me burst out laughing - and in the end I had to agree with them. My boss and I were talking about perception in the workplace and being taking seriously, yadda, yadda, yadda (scary to think this was just a general chat) but it arose out of a discussion about how she wants more people to become familiar with me and my capabilities (all good) and how sometimes when we're in the same meeting I can be overlooked.

Now this happens for a number of reasons - I am quieter with her in the room - but that's mostly out of respect and appropriateness but it also has to do with our voices. See, she has quite a....what's the word... commanding voice - not in a bad way, but it's strong and it carries and it makes people listen, whereas my voice, like my Mom's family and when I'm not drunk and/or yelling at my brothers (the two can happen at the same time....) is quite soft.

She thinks its sweet.

See - even you're laughing now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home