Canadian Down Under

Friday, July 11, 2008

No longer a guest...

I have many things to blog about - the rat, the Blue Mountains - but inexplicably I just haven't got there yet - but I just had this thought that I have to get out now... Don't worry - I won't forget the others..

For a long time I've felt out of place - well, not quite - but as though I didn't necessarily belong in Australia and the other day I realised what it was: for ages I have felt like I was still a guest.

I felt like a visitor. On borrow. Treading gingerly around the edges, trying not to wear out my welcome. I felt this way in Australia in day to day menial activities, at work and even with the people I had met. I just never felt completely relaxed like I could be myself - completely myself; you know the whole 'let you hair down' kind of self.

But something has changed. I'm no longer a guest. I now belong.
I no longer have to worry. I no longer need to walk on egg shells.
I no longer have to worry about being kicked out.

So what happened?
I don't know and I don't really care - but I feel like my friends are real. Maybe its just enough time has passed. Not sure.
But I'm no longer a guest.

1 Comments:

  • Hey, just found your blog. I find it interesting b/c I am contemplating moving back down under but had a bad experience there last time. Though this time I am going back as a considerably different person. And I need to decide with 3 weeks!
    I will read some more of your blogs. And try to figure out some more of what you do down there and how you feel about the country.

    I find something great about being an immigrant(so to speak), a zest for life comes to. A gratefulness, and work ethic. As well as enjoyment of all people and less caught up in what one has or wants.
    cheers, M.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home