Canadian Down Under

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm alright

I'm in a bit of a story telling mood, so here I go.

Years ago (when I was still living in Canada) at about the same time I started a new job, my boyfriend and I broke up.

I was heartbroken. Really devastated. And at a new job I was suppose to be energetic and enthusiastic.

Let me tell you - it just wasn't happening.

I didn't really know anyone (as happens with new jobs) but one of my colleagues I think guessed at some level that I wasn't normally so quiet and that perhaps I needed a little kindness - or at least some kind of distraction - so she invited me along to the pick-up Ultimate game she played on Saturdays with one of the law firms.

I didn't want to go - but I figured being on my own wasn't helping me at all so I took her up on her offer and joined the group.

The first weekend she introduced me to everyone. I can't remember everyone's names now - but I do remember two guys: JP and Matt. Both were real cuties (even in my moping state I did notice they were cute).

They kind of took me under their wing.

As the early weeks of spring turned into summer I continued to go each week and I slowly got better. See it wasn't just the break up and rejection that I was having trouble with - the truth is it hadn't been the healthiest of relationship and my self-esteem was in shreds and my self-confidence had taken quite a battering.

But as I said, with time I was returning to my normal self.

Then one day at brunch (brunch always followed the game...) I was sitting at the far end of the table with my two buds JP and Matt, when JP - out of nowhere and after months of absolutely ZERO questions says to me: "So you're alright now."

It was a statement. Not a question. Matt said nothing but both guys were clearly focused and waiting on my response.

It's funny, because until that moment, I hadn't thought about how I was doing. I gave it a moment and answered, "Yeah, I'm alright now."

The boys both smiled then returned to eating.

That was the extent of it.


I think you know what I'm getting at....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home