Canadian Down Under

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Welcome to Toronto!!

Just reserved my tickets for a trip home at the end of August. Wasn’t really part of the original plan. Had been thinking that if I was going anywhere I might go to England and catch up with some of my old travel friends and maybe meet up with my brother and potentially meet his girlfriend, but I had a change of heart.

First off – though I’m loathe to admit it – my Mom has been pretty keen about me coming home for the summer and that was playing on my mind. On top of that, my good friends back home were expressing their disappointment that I might not show this summer. Add to that being a little homesick in the early part of this year and I started thinking how maybe a little summer Canada style might be in order. I just couldn’t fathom not seeing cottage country for another full year so I half promised myself that if I was still feeling a little blue, I would dig deep into the wallet and buy a ticket home.

I didn’t tell anybody though. Didn’t want any additional pressure – and especially didn’t want to get my Mom’s hopes up. By mid-April I was still pondering the idea, but the real clincher came from my best friend. In a conversation around the time of my birthday, she mentioned how disappointed her three girls were that they wouldn’t be going up to the cottage. I told her that they could go up without me – but apparently her girls didn’t think it would be the same if I wasn’t there.

I was sunk. Luckily my brother has decided to head home this summer with the girlfriend – so it’ll be a dual purpose trip – and I can claim to friends that I coming home for ‘family reasons’ so they don’t think I’m a soft hearted wuss…..

So I have been thinking of home a lot lately – kind of wondering whether I really should be going home, when on my way to visit a friend in Newcastle, I passed this sign:


Welcome to Toronto.

I think someone’s trying to tell me something….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home