Canadian Down Under

Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Final Chapter

Now, I previously menioned my involvement with the Big Sisters' program - and I always said I wouldn't write about my little sister, but that I might about the program and my involvement. Well, a few things have transpired lately which have brought about some major changes.

Even though the mother was the one to originally contact the program, there has been little support from that arena and in fact, quite a lot of resistance. The parents had issues about the length of time I'd spend with her (they thought three hours was long enough), the distance of the places we went to (usually within half an hour of their house - but definitely within city limits - but mom was hoping for us to stay in the house or just go to a nearby park), and scheduling (Little only had a 4 hour window on the weekend and little to no room for flexibility if I had other commitments).

From the get go, there were problems - with them cancelling last minute, not being there when I showed up, or phoning last minute and changing times (well, at least they phoned...) or not having time at all due to family/church/extra-curricular activity commitments.

So today - our caseworker went and met with the family and the Little and although Little was insistent upon seeing me, the family was ambivalent at best, soooo...... due to the lack of interest (on the parents' part) plus the relative little time the Little has in her schedule for the program, our caseworker pulled the plug.

We have a 'goodbye' meeting on Monday. It will be good to see her again - and I intend to get her a funky little necklace as a keepsake (my Little loves jewellery) and as a distraction of sorts. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I think it's the right thing. My Little has lots of extra-curricular activities and quite a few friends, so she'll be alright. Truthfully? She probably never should have been part of the program to begin with, but it was still nice to meet her.

Looks like I soon be back in the pool of Big's waiting for a match, but I haven't given up. I still have the time and the energy and the desire to do it, so hopefully I don't have to wait a long time to be a part of it again.

1 Comments:

  • That's awesome that you are a "big sister." But its too bad that the family screwed it up, good luck with your next match.

    By Blogger Mitch, at 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home