Canadian Down Under

Thursday, July 20, 2006

The other side of the table

Due to my wonderful managerial skills, one of my staff resigned the other week (okay - it was for a better offer) and I've been given the mandate to recruit before I go on holiday. So what that means is I've been doing marathon interviewing over the last few days.

What I've discovered? People who do the interviewing really deserve some sympathy.....

Also, people are... well.... strange.

I won't go into detail - because I still haven't decided what I'm doing, but I have to say - it's awful to interview someone while knowing a few minutes after meeting them that there's just no way you'll hire them. I believe you really have to give people a chance - I mean first impressions can be wrong - but the first five minutes generally aren't.

I'm not good at faking. I feel so sorry for some of these people....

4 Comments:

  • But not sorry enough to hire them, I hope!

    By Blogger venitha, at 5:44 AM  

  • I'm sure you'll recall your first impression of a certain nutcase that we both worked with .. hmm, how did that one work out???
    anyhow, I've been in the same position, even while walking someone in from the front desk, and then struggling to hang in there for 20 minutes before saying "well, I don't have any more questions .. do you?" Having said that, I've also fired people that I thought were amazing during the interview .. so who am I to talk!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 AM  

  • Objectivity is difficult in that situation. But look at it this way, you owe it to your current employees, especially the good ones, to hire the best people you can.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

  • Venitha: Yeah, not that sorry...

    Lynne: you are talking the airplane crash nut case right? It's bad meeting them at the front desk and having totravel in an elevator with them AND doing an interview knowing it's a no-go.

    Raymond: That's assuming I have good people to begin with... I inherited them all and have developed a reputation for being able to 'fix' poor performers, so now I get all the dregs. There's a lesson in there somewhere...(Please God, let no one who works for me ever find this blog!!)

    By Blogger lala, at 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home