Canadian Down Under

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Return of the Magic!

Tonight I went to a party. It was a theme party. I generally don't like theme parties (which are also known as fancy dress parties - or better known as costume parties for you North Americans out there) but I haven't been out for a while, so I thought 'what the hell'.

Well, tonight not only marked my return to the party circuit, it also marked the return of the magic.

What is the magic, you ask? Well, magic is that intangible thing that happens between men and women. An old flatmate of mine used to spend a lot of nights out - and for the most part, any night out on the town was fun - but there were those nights when you had 'the magic'. Those nights when you could do no wrong - men practically fell over themselves to get to you (yes, I'm using poetic license). It had nothing to do with what you wore, how your hair looked or what you were saying - it was that intangible 'je ne sais quoi' that we called 'the magic'.

So tonight, I didn't realise it was back at first. But with the added clarity of hindsight, I think it began early on. The theme of the party was 'For Mature Audiences Only' so it's no surprise that 'the magic' may have been floating around....

So, let me recount the boys by order of appearance:

Boy #1
Dressed as a gay cowboy, Phil was introduced to us when we first arrived. At first I was distracted by the ingenuity of the multitude of costumes, but when I did get around to noticing him - I had trouble getting past the cheesy moustache and pink shirt. Despite basically ignoring him, he hung around for a while and occasionally pulled my hair so I'd talk to him. But talking to him consisted of me asking a question (polite chit chat crap) and he'd answer. And that'd be it. I'd turn to listen to the band and he'd pull my hair again. Eventually I moved so he couldn't reach my hair anymore and he went to the other side of the party - but he did wave at me from across the yard when the band played the song 'I touch myself'.

I'm choosing not to examine that further.....

Boy #2
While standing under the marquee and listening to the band, I'd occasionally look around at the crowd to check out the costumes and - oh yeah - the cute guys. In my survey of the crowd, I kept noticing this tall, dark handsome guy with curly hair. He smiled at me a few times. I went from pretending I didn't notice to smiling at him quickly then turning away. Next thing I knew, he came up and asked me to dance. You'd think since I'd been long distance flirting (yeah, I can confess to that) I'd say yes, but this is how he asked:

"You want to dancth."

Call me shallow, but I couldn't get past the lisp.

Boy #3
It started to pour so most of us squeezed under the marquee. Beside me was a guy dressed as Hugh Hefner - pipe and all... I have no idea how Brian and I started talking, but he was pretty funny and he kept me laughing for a while. He told me his bathrobe was built for two and tried to wrap me in it. Only problem - and I couldn't tell if it was because the slope of the lawn, but he was shorter than me.

Actually, truth is, I was just too tired to stay any longer (been a long day of headaches and lots of codeine, so no alcohol when everyone else is getting pissed can be boring, but I believe I should be given bonus points for pulling it together enough to get myself out tonight...).

Said goodbye to Brian and he was sweet about it - saying it was nice to meet me, then headed out.

As I was leaving the back yard and heading to the path at the side of the house, I heard this voice say 'Are you really leaving?' I turned and it was Boy #2. The cutie. As he was telling me it was too early for me to leave, I realised that he didn't have a lisp, what he had was a Spanish accent.

Oops!

So to his "it's to early for you to go" I answered "I really need my beauty sleep." To which he replied, "I can't believe that, you're beautiful as you are."

I don't think it was just a return of the magic - it was a tidal wave return of the magic.


I contemplated staying, but I really was tired - and besides, my mom always told me: 'leave them wanting more'.

I've never listened before - thought I'd give it a try.....

2 Comments:

  • whath? you couldn't geth path the lithp?

    If you want to hit me over the head, get on a plane.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • Ha ha. Verrry funny.

    I need to clarify on the lisp (not on being shallow - I think that point was clear...)See, some regions of Spain pronouce the letter 'c' as 'th' sound - hence me thinking it was a lisp, when really it was because he was Spanish....

    Damn I'm dumb sometimes!

    By Blogger lala, at 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home