Canadian Down Under

Friday, October 06, 2006

It's funny...

I get these ideas in my head sometimes, but I don't always share them.

Ideas. Not quite fantasies, but I imagine situations and dream what the outcomes will be. Sometimes they're completely fanciful, sometimes they're actually events from my past that I re-create with different outcomes.

Okay - I know I'm sounding a little crazy, but I promise I'm not under the influence of alcohol or any other substance. There is a point to this - it's just taking a while to get there....

So sometimes when life is unpleasant or not turning out the way I want or think it should - I dream up an alternate reality. I re-tell it to myself over and over and over trying out different endings to see which ones work best. Then eventually I run out of new endings and I either come up with some new situation to day dream about or I get stuck on the old like a skipping record.

I've often not been able to figure out how to stop the record skips - but I think I've come up with a solution. When the imagination gets snagged on some idea, I tell people what I'm doing. And I become unsnagged.

So I was stuck, but I've told my crazy story to a few friends (that I simply can't put in writing...) and now I'm just hoping I can think of something new.....

3 Comments:

  • Do you sleep with a pad by your bed to write down stuff you dream about?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 PM  

  • Hi Laura,

    You don’t know me neither do I know you. Stumbled across your blog while searching blogs written by foreigners living in Sydney area since I’m dreaming of moving there. I was thinking of reading few pages but got stuck and read the whole thing….yes, from beginning to an end.

    Good luck with the cat and enjoy the summer (in Europe the weather is crap).

    By the way, you are saying way too much “I digress..”

    Samuli

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 AM  

  • Raymond: I do sleep with paper by the bed - just started trying to do that in the last few months. Even wrote something down once in the middle of the night, but in the morning it was such scribble I couldn't decipher it!!

    Samuli: Welcome! Hope you enjoyed it. Sorry about the "I digress" but my repetitiveness in writing so pales in comparison to my repetitiveness in person! I keep telling people its all part of my charm.... But point taken, will be more careful when writing.

    Ever have any questions of living in Sydney - you know where I blog...

    By Blogger lala, at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home