Canadian Down Under

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Bumps in the Road

I have a grand scheme.

I planned it many, many months ago.

Primary goal? Getting in good enough shape to do a triathlon this year. Some side benefits? General health and well-being, good use of my free weekend time (ie. exercising instead of imbibing), potentially even a little weight loss....

Well, it all started out good enough. I got new running shoes was slowly starting to build up my endurance. Was up to almost 30 minutes - 29 in fact, when my back problem decided to jab at me. So missed the planned fall triathlon, but kept motivated, going to Pilates, swimming and gentle exercise brought my back back into line. (I decided not to edit today - can you tell?)

Did shorter runs, lower intensity and managed to hang in there. Decided to build really slowly, which was working well. Things were looking up so even went so far as to buy myself a bike. (Kind of necessary for the bike part of the triathlon.....) Really like my bike. Even Ike likes my bike! (Americans will get that joke....) Got a few training rides in. Was pathetically, woefully out of shape, but was hanging in there. (Did I mention HOW many hills there are in Manly???? You can't go anywhere without going up a hill. Seriously.)

Then, what I now refer to as 'the incident' happened: I broke my elbow.

What happened then? I took up permanent residence on my couch. (I love my couch. It's chocolate suede and really, really comfy.)

That was bump #1, but I'm back to it. Got my trainer. Started swimming. Arm's not quite there yet - can't quite manage the bike - but was thinking of using my wind trainer. Biking indoors removes the fear I'm currently experiencing at the prospect of being on the road with cars and potentially falling. (To be honest, I have a continual fear of falling now that I can't quite get over yet.....) But I thought an indoor road trainer would be good and as luck would have it - I bought one of those thingys prior to Bump #1.

It was at the office.

I finally brought it home. (Hard to lug with a non-functioning arm....)

And last night I set it up.

Which leads me to Bump #2.

For the life of me, I can't figure it out. I've used them before but this one just doesn't make any sense to me AT ALL. So, it's now sitting in my living room mocking me.

Pretty big bump.

Never mind the flat tire.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home