Canadian Down Under

Monday, February 12, 2007

Alpha Female

Ever heard the term before?

Before I came to Australia - I'd never heard it. But since I've arrived, I've been hearing it a lot....and generally in reference to me. I mentioned this to a male friend of mine, saying "Can you believe calling someone an alpha female? Can you believe calling me that??"

His response? "Oh course you're an alpha female. I'm only friends with alpha females."

All in all, all this alpha talk was starting to make me slightly apprehensive, so I decided to look it up. Here's what I got from wikipedia:

In social animals, the alpha male or alpha female is the individual in the community whom the others follow and defer to. Where one male and one female fulfill this role, they are referred to as the alpha pair.
With the exception of the missing alpha male...So far so good. Next it read:

Chimpanzees show deference to the alpha of the community by ritualised gestures such as bowing, allowing the alpha to walk first in a procession, or standing aside when the alpha challenges.

Not so sure I like being compared to chimpanzees....

Canines also show deference to the alpha pair in their pack, by allowing them to be the first to eat and, usually, the only pair to mate; wolves are a good example of this.
Mate? If being alpha means you get to mate - then I'm definitely not alpha..... But wait:

In humans, the alpha female often refers to a woman who is powerful or high on the social ladder
Oh alright......

2 Comments:

  • So where are we headed, Ms. Leader?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

  • Well, it's just a short jaunt to hell from where I am at the moment, but perhaps I'll try to be more positive and lead us in a different direction... Any suggestions?

    By Blogger lala, at 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home