Canadian Down Under

Thursday, July 21, 2005

How Rude!!!

I'm not sure what to do about this one.......

So I'm in my last few weeks of work and with every passing day, I feel better and better about my decision.

I don't know what they put in the water where I work - but whatever it is it makes people extremely rude. It almost seems like it's a prerequisite that you have little to no respect for your co-workers as human beings, let alone as colleagues, if you want a job where I work.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. With the exception of two people.

In the last two days, these two people have been so awful that in one instance, I simply had to walk away while she was talking so I didn't slap her for being rude. And in another instance, another woman was so rude to me that I said... wait, let me recap for you.

One evening my boss requested that I provide a document to a co-worker as soon as it was available the next morning. Upon arriving the next day, I was able to download the required document, but my email was down so I could not email to my co-worker it for the report she needed to finish within the next 60 minutes. So, I posted the document to a shared drive on the company network and walked over to where my co-worker sat to inform her the document was now available. Conversation went as follows:

Me: "Hi co-worker (won't use her name). Just wanted to let you know that..."

Co-Worker (CW): "I don't have time for this" she interrupted very curtly

Me: "The document you wanted......" but before I could finish I was interrupted again

CW: "I told you I don't have time for this. I have a report due." said in a very dismissive tone, followed by her turning her back to me and facing her computer screen.

Me: "The document your boss requested that I give you for your 10 0'clock meeting is on the shared drive."

CW: "I'm busy." Her voice nearing a shriek, followed by a very curt," I need 9 copies. Colour." And again, she turned her back to me.

My response?

Me: "The word is please." I then waited for her to turn around and face me again, then said "And yes, I will help you."

Her response?

Nothing. She was speechless.

Seriously out of line. Seriously unprofessionally. Seriously rude. That happened two days ago and she hasn't spoken to me since.

I'm not quite sure what to do. Her boss is my boss and I'm thinking I should say something because although I'm leaving - I still have three weeks left and I just don't think I should be subjected to that kind of rudeness and disrespect from my co-workers. These two women are unbelievably condescending and talk to down to me frequently and often try to order me around. And the funny thing is, although we have the same boss - I am senior to both of them.

Where they get off, I don't know. What I do know is that they do this frequently to many (so it's not just me) and no one ever says anything. Although it's not my responsibility to solve other people's issues with them, my issues with them have grown to the point where if they continue with their current behaviour - I might give in to temptation and actually smack one of them.

In speaking to my boss though, it may mean permanently burning bridges - and the one thing I've realised is Sydney a very small community in the financial sector.

Sigh. Decisions. Decisions.

Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home