Canadian Down Under

Saturday, July 23, 2005

A Mother Classic

So, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it yet or not, but in just a few short weeks, I'm doing the long trek home for a bit of a visit. (3 weeks! How awesome is that?) And it looks like I'll be bringing a few extra things with me....

See, it all started when my friend who had come out to visit earlier this year asked me if I'd bring her a different coloured pair of flip flops to the ones she bought when she was here because she loves her current pair so much. (Phew! Was that the longest sentence ever or what?)

When she asked, I remembered last summer that a few of my friends had really liked my flip flops. (Now some of you may be wondering what I'm going on about - but seriously - these flip flops are SO comfortable because they're cushy and the straps are thin and don't dig into your feet. Billabong. Can't go wrong.) Tangenting again - sorry. So since I was already bringing home one pair, I expanded the offer to include my other girlfriends who had liked them last summer (I think I got everyone...)

Then I started to feel guilty. I hadn't asked my mother. And she LOVESSSS shoes.

So I forwarded the original email to her and told her to pick out a colour.

In the end I had to call her today. (The funny thing is that my mom has all the latest technological gadgets and doesn't know how to work any of them. She has my old laptop, the latest broadband wireless and has to ask her neighbour over to help her get her email. This has been going on for over 2 years and still she can't do it by herself. This two years beginning after the 2 year training stint with my computer programmer brother ended after finally having to wave the white flag and the 3 year training stint with myself that ended up with my having to move to Australia..... God love my neighbour - she obviously has more patience than either my brother or I....)

Now that I think about it - why do I worry about her reading my blog? Oh right. Murphy's law. You and I both know she'd find it......

Ahhhh, I digress AGAIN!! I can't even remember my original story now, so hold on while I re-read what I wrote........

So right, talking to my mom today and I ask her if she got the email. She starts talking about one I sent months ago (I haven't sent one since, I just call now... it's much easier...) So I explain to her what I'm talking about: flip flops.

A few pardon's and what's later coupled with my screaming flip flops into the phone (my mother's losing her hearing...) and I can actually hear the mental click and the conversation goes like this:

Mom: "Oooooh, I loved your flip flops. Yes, I'll have a pair."
Me: "What colour do you want?"
Mom: "You mean I have a choice?"
Me: "Well yes, I'm not asking just for the fun of it..."
Mom: "Oooh, okay. Well, what are my options?"
Me: "It's a very long list, maybe you should just check your email." I say envisioning me shouting 'guava', 'lime green', 'lilac' et cetera at the top of my lungs to either the amusement/annoyance of my neighbours for 20 minutes before Mom understands me. But no...
Mom: "Just tell me the colours dear..."
Me: Sighing deepely, "Light blue,turquoise blue, orange, yellow, bright pink, light pink, guava"
Mom: "Ooh, I like the pink." (Note - there are three pinks listed, but whatever...)
Me: "Okay" but I continue with the list anyway, knowing if she sees some of the other colours I'm bringing home and didn't have the option of choosing them, I'll hear about it....
Me: "Light green, jade green, lime green, white, black, brown..."
Mom: "Hmm, the light blue sounds nice. (Funny how good her hearing is when it's about a gift for her...)
Me: "Okay, so it's the light blue?"
Mom: "Did you say they had a deep blue."
Me: "Nope. Just light blue and turquoise blue."

Silence for a moment. (She's obviously thinking - this is a very big decision after all.)

Mom: "I think I prefer the light blue."
Me: "Okay. Light blue it.."
Mom: "But you know, the pink sounds nice."
Me: "So, pink then?" I ask, but before I can finish.
Mom: "Jade. Hmmm, just the name sounds nice. Yes definitely jade."
Me: "So, just to be sure - you want me to get you a jade pair?"
Mom: "Hmmm, not sure that I have anything that will match. But I really love the colour jade."
Me: "So jade then?"
Mom: "And the pink and the light blue."

Me: "All three?" I ask increduously, thinking that yeah, they're great flip flops, but three?
Mom: "Yes three." She answers decisively. "Thank you dear." Topic closed.

Classic.

So now that I'm bringing a small suitcase of flip flops home in a few weeks - anybody else want a pair?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home